The UK’s Largest Charity Garden Opening
Green fingers, green tea, green boxes! The UK’s Largest Charity Garden Opening will benefit ShelterBox
We’re looking forward to our Garden Opening, with proceeds going to Helston-based disaster aid organisation ShelterBox, which delivers shelter and lifesaving equipment in distinctive green boxes.
On Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 April, visitors will enjoy exclusive access to our 100 acre estate, home of the Boscawen family since 1334. Explore the new tea plantation in the Himalayan Valley alongside the pagoda, and see rare and endangered plants. There are also South American and South African gardens, a camellia maze, deer park viewing points and a lime avenue.
A full programme of entertainment will include falconry, cookery demonstrations, music from choral to jazz, classic car displays, a treasure hunt, talks, storytelling and a possible helicopter flyover on Sunday. And, capturing the spirit of a true garden party, there will of course be homemade cakes, ice creams and lashings of tea.
ShelterBox Events Coordinator Liz Mulloy says: ‘This is going to be a very special weekend in a very special venue. ShelterBox is extremely grateful to our hosts – the Boscawen family and the Tregothnan estate – for this generous fundraising opportunity. I urge everyone with a love of beautiful gardens, stately homes, family entertainment, and most importantly tea and cakes, to spend the weekend with us. Every penny raised will go towards ShelterBox’s vital work helping displaced families worldwide.
Among the attractions for the weekend are:
- Ancient Art Falconry – a chance to see hawks, falcons and owls close up
- Local Vocalz Choir – a lively mixed voice choir with members from all over Cornwall (Saturday only)
- Celebrity cookery demonstrations with Thom Hunt – of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s Channel 4 programme ‘Three Hungry Boys’
- Truro & Penwith College Jazz Band – A jazz band from Truro and Penwith College (Sunday only)
- Cupcake Decorating with ‘The Baking Bird’ – Truro’s cupcake expert will be holding special workshops (Sunday only)
- Big Wave Flags – a beautiful display of huge colourful flags from Redruth-based ShelterBox supporters
Tregothnan’s Charity Garden Opening Weekend is signposted from Tresillian near Truro towards St Michael Penkivel. The gardens will be open from 10.00am to 5.00pm, with last entry at 4.00pm each day. Entry prices are £7.00 per adult, children age 16 and under free, dogs on leads welcome. Earlybird discount tickets at £6.50 are available via the web address www.tregothnan.co.uk/shop/